The following steps outline the basic procedure for downloading and setting up the Raspbian operating system for the Raspberry Pi.
What you will need:
- Raspberry Pi (3 B+ version recommended)
- Computer with SD card slot (or external card reader
- Micro SD card (usually comes with a standard-sized SD adapter
The following steps assume a Windows PC or Laptop
- Download Raspbian OS (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/). Either choice will work.
- Choose or create a folder on your computer to unzip the RPi OS image
- Unzip the image
- Download and install Win32diskimager program (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/)
- Insert micro SD card into adapter and then into the computer or reader connected to computer
- Run Win32diskimager program and select the image unzipped in step 3
- Make sure the target for image is set for the SD card
- Write the image
- When processing is complete, remove the micro SD card
- Insert the micro SD card into the RPi
- Connect keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the RPi
- Power up the RPi and see the desktop screen.
The first time, you will have to select the country, the keyboard, and set the time zone.
(date written: 13 Apr 2019)